Southwest Skillet Chili
- 2 tablespoon Organic Valley Butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 large can diced tomatoes
- 14 ounce (1 can) chicken broth
- 1 lb Organic Prairie Ground Chicken or Turkey
- 14 ounce (1 can) black beans
- 1/3 cup salsa
- 1 1/2 cup organic sweet corn
- Optional Toppings:
- Organic Valley Shredded Cheddar
- Organic Valley Sour Cream
- organic tortilla chips
- chopped fresh cilantro
Delicious with tortillas or warm, crusty rolls. Even better the next day!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
Serves 4 to 6
1. Heat a large, heavy skillet over high flame. Brown the ground meat, breaking it up as it cooks. Transfer browned meat to a bowl and set aside.
2. Reduce heat in skillet to medium and add the butter. When the butter is hot, add onions, garlic and peppers and sauté a few minutes. Add chili powder, cumin and crushed red pepper flakes. Continue cooking, stirring often, for about 5 minutes or until onions are tender.
3. Add browned meat, tomatoes and broth, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Stir in black beans, salsa and corn.
5. Cover and briefly bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer 15 to 20 minutes.
Top with crushed tortilla chips, shredded Organic Valley cheeses and a generous dollop of sour cream.
Garnish with chopped fresh cilantro if desired.