Chicken and Black Bean Quesadilla Pizza
- 3 5-inch corn tortillas
- 1 1/2-2 ounce Organic Valley Cheddar Cheese, shredded and divided
- 2 tablespoon tomato salsa
- 3-4 tablespoon cooked black beans
- 3-4 tablespoon cooked, shredded Organic Prairie Chicken
Got some Mexican-meal leftovers? You can make this dish in moments—I know because I have it for lunch a lot. You can, of course, play with the toppings; try chopped green onions, diced red peppers, corn kernels, etc. A dab of Organic Valley sour cream is also wonderful on top.
The recipe makes one serving, but it can be multiplied to make as many as you like. Prepare a single serving in a small skillet and finish it in a toaster oven, or place several prepared individual pizzas on a baking sheet and bake them in a conventional oven.|
1. Heat toaster oven to 400 degrees. Lay a corn tortilla in a heavy, ovenproof (preferably cast-iron) skillet—one that will fit into the toaster oven. Sprinkle about 1/2 ounce shredded cheddar cheese over surface of the tortilla (avoid letting any cheese come all the way out to the sides, so that when the cheese melts it won’t ooze out). Lay another tortilla over cheese and sprinkle another 1/2 ounce over top. Lay a third tortilla over that.
2. Place skillet over medium flame and heat until bottom layer of cheese melts and bottom layer of tortilla stack has become firm, 3–5 minutes. Carefully flip the stack over and turn off the heat. Spread salsa over top of stack. Scatter beans and chicken strips over salsa. Top with remaining cheese.
3. Transfer skillet to heated toaster oven and bake until cheese on top is melted and ingredients are hot, 5–8 minutes. Let stand a minute or two before serving.
Copyright by Terese Allen