Crostini with Leeks, Sweet Peppers and Ham
- 1/2 cup finely diced Organic Prairie Hardwood Smoked Boneless Ham
- 1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 leeks (about 2/3 lb), sliced into thin rounds
- 1 small sweet red pepper, finely diced
- 3-4 tablespoon mustard vinaigrette
- salt and pepper to taste
- Organic sourdough bread, thinly sliced and toasted
Although the topping can be made ahead of time, don’t assemble these until just before serving. That way, the bread will stay nice and crisp.
Yield: 2–3 cups|
1. Heat olive oil in skillet over medium flame. Add leeks; cook, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Add sweet peppers and ham; continue to cook, stirring often, until vegetables are mostly tender, 3–5 minutes longer. Stir in vinaigrette. Turn off heat and let mixture cool to room temperature. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
2. To serve, mound the mixture on toasted bread rounds.
Note: There are numerous ways to vary this recipe. Organic Prairie bacon, cooked and crumbled, can substitute for the ham. For a vegetarian version, use chopped imported olives. And Italian salad dressing can replace the mustard vinaigrette.
Copyright by Terese Allen