Curry Broccoli Soup with Bacon and Toasted Almonds
- 4 slices Organic Prairie Hardwood Smoked Bacon
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped leeks
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrots
- 4 cup finely chopped broccoli
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1-2 pinches cayenne pepper
- 3 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup Organic Valley Soy Milk (Unsweetened or Original)
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoon lightly toasted slivered almonds
Use the freshest, deepest green broccoli you can find for this recipe—just chopping it will make you feel more fit! A little bacon adds a smoky savor to the soup.
1. Heat a medium sized soup pot over medium flame. Chop the bacon into small pieces and add it to the pot. Cook, stirring often, until bacon is browned. Use a slotted spoon to transfer bacon bits to paper towels to drain. Discard all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat in the pot.
2. Add olive oil to the pot and heat briefly. Stir in leeks and carrots; cook, stirring often, until vegetables soften. Stir in broccoli, curry powder, basil, and cayenne; continue cooking a few minutes longer, stirring occasionally.
3. Add chicken or vegetable stock and bring mixture to simmer. Cook soup until broccoli is tender, 10–15 minutes. Stir in the bacon and soy milk, season to taste with salt, and heat through. Serve each bowl with a sprinkling of slivered almonds.
For a smoother, slightly thickened texture, partially puree the soup with a hand-held immersion blender after adding the soy milk.
Copyright by Terese Allen