Bed & Breakfast Bake
- 12 ounce (1 package) Organic Prairie Pork Breakfast Sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 Organic Valley Large Eggs, beaten
- 2 cup cooked (or partially cooked) shredded potatoes
- 2 cup Organic Valley Mild Cheddar Cheese Shreds
- 1 1/2 cup Organic Valley Cottage Cheese or Ricotta Cheese
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
You can trust the operator of an on-the-farm inn to know what’s good for breakfast. This luscious layered bake of sausage, onions and a delicate cheese-egg custard comes from Patti and Cliff Brunner, who are dairy farmers in upstate New York.
“We have farmed at our Sunny Slope farm for forty years, having bought the business from Cliff’s parents after he graduated from college,” says Patti. “We milk forty-five cows—Holstein, Jerseys and crosses. The cows are our primary focus but we do operate the B&B during the summer tourist season. It is a great way to introduce people to farming and organics.”
“This recipe is a breakfast favorite of my B&B guests, but we sometimes have it for dinner. The sausage comes from our daughter’s home raised pigs.”
Patti says you can use fresh, lightly cooked vegetables from the garden in the dish instead of the meat—“We do this for our vegetarian guests.” One thing, though, don’t skip the dry mustard; it adds a subtle savor that really makes the dish.
Serve with homemade bread and Organic Valley’s Pasture Butter or European Style Cultured Butter.
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Brown the sausage in a hot skillet over medium flame, breaking up the meat as it cooks. Add the onions about half-way through the browning time, and let them cook with the sausage. Lightly grease a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Spread sausage and onion mixture in dish.
2. Mix eggs, potatoes, cheeses and mustard. Spread over sausage mixture. Bake until set, about 40 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting into squares or rectangles for serving.
Contributed by by Patti Brunner