Bacon and Egg Salad Torpedoes
- 4 Organic Valley Extra Large Eggs, hard cooked
- 2 slices Organic Prairie Uncured Hardwood Smoked Bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped dill pickles
- 2 green onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon stone ground mustard
- 2 teaspoon cider vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- whole-grain hot dog buns
Egg salad sandwiches are a perennial favorite, but they can get a little sloppy when you take a bite and the mixture squishes out the sides. To solve that problem, pack the salad into partially hollowed hot dog buns, which makes it both mess-free and fun to eat. I also like to add a twist to the egg salad to give it more substance and a little smokiness—bacon bits! In all, this is a wholesome, lunch box-friendly sandwich.|
1. Peel and coarsely chop the eggs. Place them in a food processor with the bacon or ham, dill pickles, and green onion. Use the pulse button to finely chop the mixture. Add mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste; pulse to blend the mixture.
2. Slice the hot dog buns open, but don’t cut them all the way into halves. Pull out about half the bread from the inside, on both sides of each bun.* Pack egg salad into the hollowed-out areas and press the two sides back together. If you’re making these for a bag or box lunch, pack them into sandwich bags or airtight containers and keep them chilled with an ice pack.
* Don’t throw those bread pieces away! They can be left out to dry and then crumbled for breadcrumbs. Or fry them in Organic Valley butter with a little oregano for salad croutons.
Copyright by Terese Allen