Confetti Rice and Dice Salad
- 1 cup uncooked jasmine rice
- 2 tablespoon vinegar (white wine or fruit)
- 1-2 tablespoon chopped fresh lemon thyme, dill or basil
- 2 teaspoon honey
- 6 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup diced Organic Prairie Hardwood Smoked Boneless Ham
- 2/3 cup diced sweet red peppers or radishes
- 2/3 cup diced broccoli stems or zucchini
- 2/3 cup diced carrots or sweet orange peppers
- 1/3 cup finely diced red onion (optional)
This makes a healthy, hearty and festive-looking main course salad for supper and the leftovers are ideal for the next day’s school lunch. To increase the chances that your kids will gobble it down, let them choose the organic vegetables that will go into it. Just about any kind will do; we’ve suggested some below that have lots of color and crunch.
To dice most vegetables, cut them first into 1/4-inch-thick planks. Cut the planks into 1/4-inch-thick sticks, and then cut the sticks into a 1/4-inch dice.
1. Cook rice according to package instructions.* When it’s done, let it stand 5 minutes, covered, then remove lid, fluff the rice with a fork and let it cool 15–20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, prepare dressing: Combine vinegar, chopped herb and honey in a large serving bowl. Slowly whisk in olive oil; season with salt and pepper to taste. Prepare the vegetables as described above, stirring each type into the dressing as you go.
3. When rice is no longer piping hot but is still good and warm, stir it into the vegetable-dressing mixture. (Warm rice will absorb the dressing.) Let stand until it comes to room temperature, stirring occasionally. Add more salt and pepper if it needs it. The flavor is best if you serve it at room temperature.
* If you have purchased the rice in bulk (and no directions came with it), prepare it this way: Combine 1 cup rice, 1 1/2 cups water, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in saucepan. Bring to boil, stir once, reduce heat to very low, cover and cook 20 minutes.
Copyright by Terese Allen