Italian Chicken Sausage and Fennel Pie
- 1/2 tablespoon Organic Valley Butter, softened
- 3 tablespoon dried bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon Organic Valley Butter or olive oil
- 3/4 cup diced onion
- 2 cup diced fennel bulb
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 links (about 6 ounces) Organic Prairie Italian Chicken Sausage, cut into thin ro
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed fennel seed
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup (about 2 ounces) Organic Valley Italian Blend Cheese Shreds
- 3 Organic Valley Large Eggs
- 1 cup Organic Valley Half & Half
- chopped fennel leaves or diced roasted peppers
Here’s a savory egg pie that’s healthier and easier to assemble than a regular quiche. The pie pan is lined with breadcrumbs instead of a crust and the custard is studded with sautéed fennel bulb and Italian-spiced chicken sausage. Definitely not your regular quiche!
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9- or 10-inch pie plate with the softened butter. Sprinkle bread crumbs over sides and bottom of pie plate.
2. Heat butter or olive oil in skillet over medium flame. Add onion, fennel and garlic; saute until vegetables are mostly tender, 7–10 minutes. Raise heat to medium-high, stir in sausage, fennel seed, and salt and pepper to taste. Saute 1–2 minutes. Let cool.
3. Meanwhile, scatter the cheese over the bottom of the pie pan. Beat eggs with half and half in a bowl. Stir cooled vegetable mixture into egg mixture; pour into pan. Rim the outer edge of pie with chopped fresh fennel leave or roasted red peppers.
4. Bake until set, about 30 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Copyright by Terese Allen