Stovetop Sloppy Joes
- 2 lb Organic Prairie Grass-Fed Ground Beef
- 2 teaspoon Organic Valley Ghee
- 1 small Organic Valley onion, diced
- 1 small organic bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 16 oz can no-salt added tomato paste
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon fish sauce (may substitute coconut amigos or tamari)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika (smoked or sweet)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 large sweet potatoes cut into 1/4 inch thick rounds (with peel intact)
- 1 teaspoon Organic Valley Ghee, melted
A childhood favorite gets a healthy makeover in these Stovetop Sloppy Joes. They are so good you'll want to make enough so you have leftovers to stash for later.
Prep Time: 10 Min
Cook Time: 25 Min
Total Time: 35 Min
1. Place a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, add 2 tsp ghee, onions, and peppers. Saute, stirring occasionally, until onions start to soften (about 5-8 minutes).
3. Add ground beef and garlic. Use a large spoon to break up meat, cook, stirring occasionally until meat is browned and almost cooked through. Drain meat if desired.
3. To the meat mixture, add tomato paste, water, mustard, vinegar, fish sauce, paprika, salt, and pepper. Stir well to combine. Continue to cook over medium heat (about 10 minutes) until hot and ground beef is cooked through and peppers are tender.
4. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately or store in a covered container in the fridge for up to 4 days. May also be frozen up to 3 months.
5. The make Sweet Potato Buns, Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet (or two, depending on how many sweet potatoes you're going to bake) with parchment paper.
6. Arrange sweet potato slices in a single layer on baking sheet(s). Brush with ghee.
7. Bake for 25-30, flipping halfway through baking time, or until sweet potatoes are tender and lightly browned on the surface.
Copyright: The Real Food Dietitians 2019. All rights reserved.