Cream of Roasted Potato Soup with Hardwood Smoked Bacon
- 3 tablespoon Organic Valley Cultured Butter, divided
- 2 lb russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or dry vermouth
- 4 cup Organic Valley Heavy Whipping Cream, divided
- 4 cup Organic Valley Whole Milk, divided
- 2 teaspoon salt or more to taste
- 5 strips Organic Prairie Hardwood Smoked Uncured Bacon, cooked crisp, crumbled
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions (green onions)
What is there not to like about cream, potatoes, and bacon? This soup reminds me of a loaded baked potato.|
1.) Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter; toss with potatoes on a large rimmed baking sheet. Bake 15 minutes or until potatoes are barely tender.
2.) Heat remaining 1 tablespoon butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and celery; saute 5 minutes. Add garlic; saute 2 minutes. Add white wine; simmer until wine is reduced to a glaze over the vegetables, about 5 minutes. Stir in 2 cups of the cream, 2 cups of the milk, salt and potatoes; bring just to a simmer over high heat.
3.) Reduce heat; simmer 10 to 12 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Stir in remaining cream and milk to cool soup. Puree soup in small batches in a blender until very smooth. At this point soup may be refrigerated up to 3 days or frozen up to 3 months.
4.) Reheat soup just to a simmer, stirring frequently. Ladle into shallow bowls; top with bacon and scallions.