Curry Yogurt Baked Chicken
- 2 cup Organic Lowfat Plain Yogurt
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 heaping tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 heaping tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 heaping teaspoon each ground cumin, tumeric, and paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground coriander and cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Organic Prairie Chicken (3-4 pounds), cut up
- Chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
Yogurt has a natural acidity that helps tenderize poultry. Don’t leave your chicken in the marinade too long, however, or the meat can soften too much. Four to six hours is about right.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Servings: 4 to 6
1. To make marinade, combine yogurt, olive oil, garlic, gingerroot, spices and salt in a large bowl.
2. Add the chicken pieces and turn them in the marinade to coat well. Cover and refrigerate 4–6 hours, turning the chicken parts in the marinade occasionally.
3. Remove chicken from refrigerator. Transfer the chicken parts to a large, foil-lined baking sheet. Heat oven to 425 degrees. Pour some (or all) of the marinade over and around the chicken. Bake 20 minutes on one side. Turn the pieces over and continue cooking for another 20 to 25 minutes, or until juices run clear when chicken is pierced where the meat is thickest.
Copyright by Terese Allen