posted 2023 Feb by Mimi Council
Rated 5.0 stars by 1 users
This healthy twist on the traditional Shepard’s Pie makes this nostalgic dinner part of your Whole30 lifestyle! I use ghee and vegetable stock to make a creamy mashed potato topping that covers a mix of ground beef, ground pork, spices, corn, and peas. Ifyou’re not following Whole30 you can use Organic Valley Salted Butter and Organic Valley Heavy Whipping Cream for the mashed potato topping.
1 pound organic Russet potatoes
1/4 cup organic vegetable stock
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon Organic Valley Ghee
Salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
3/4 teaspoon organic black pepper
1/2 teaspoon organic parsley
1/2 teaspoon organic rosemary
1/2 teaspoon organic thyme
1/2 teaspoon organic garlic powder
1/2 pound Organic Prairie Ground Beef
1/2 pound Organic Prairie Ground Pork
1/2 cup diced organic yellow onion
One 15-ounce can organic corn
1 cup organic peas (fresh or frozen)
To make the topping: Chop potatoes into chunks that are about 3 inches. Add to a medium pot and fill with water. Put over medium/high heat and boil, covering with a lid. Boil until potatoes are soft when poked with a fork, about 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat and strain off water.
- Add the vegetable stock and 1/4 cup of ghee to the potatoes and mash with a potato masher until you have a smooth consistency. Add salt and pepper to taste. Once potatoes are mashed, set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- To make the filling: In a large bowl, add the sea salt, black pepper, parsley, rosemary, thyme, and garlic powder and mix together. Add the ground beef and pork and mix together.
- In a large skillet, add 1 tablespoon of ghee and the diced onions. Allow to cook for 1 to 2 minutes, until onions become fragrant. Add in the meat and break up with a spatula. Continue to cook until meat is fully cooked, about 10 minutes. Transfer the meat to a 9-inch pie pan or dish.
- Add the corn and potatoes to the meat and mix together. Top with the mashed potatoes. Bake for 20 to 25 minute or until the mashed potatoes are slightly golden brown on top.
- Serve immediately.