1. Preheat the oven to 375F.
2. In a large sauté pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. When hot, sauté the parsnips, carrots, celery root, and onions with a pinch of salt and pepper for 6 to 8 minutes or until softened. Set aside for 10 to 15 minutes to cool slightly.
3. In a large mixing bowl, mix together the bread crumbs, milk, eggs, ketchup, salt and pepper. Add the meat and cooked vegetables and using a wooden spoon or your hands, mix well.
4. Transfer the meat to a loaf baking dish.
5. Bake for about 1 1/2 hours or until the meat loaf is heated all the way through. An instant-read thermometer inserted in the center of the loaf will read 145F.
6. Serve the meatloaf from the pan. Slice into serving pieces about 1 inch thick.
From Sustainably Delicious: How to Make the World a Better Place, One Recipe at a Time (Rodale Books) by Michel Nischan with Mary Goodbody.