Tandoori-Style Grilled Chicken
Indian Tandoori chicken is traditionally cooked in a very clay oven called a tandoor, but it can also be grilled. Marinating the chicken in spiced yogurt before cooking it both flavors and tenderizes the meat.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
- 2 cup Lowfat Plain Yogurt
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 heaping tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 heaping tablespoon minced fresh ginger root
- 2 teaspoon ground tumeric
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Organic Prairie Chicken, cut up (3-4 pounds)
- Chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
1. To make marinade, combine yogurt, olive oil, garlic, ginger root, spices and salt in a large bowl.
2. Add the chicken pieces and turn them in the marinade to coat well. Cover and refrigerate 2–4 hours, turning the chicken parts in the marinade occasionally.
3. Remove chicken from refrigerator. Heat outdoor gas grill to 425 degrees, or prepare a charcoal or wood fire to keep the coals going for at least 40 minutes. Remove chicken pieces from the marinade and grill them on the first side for 10–15 minutes. Turn the chicken pieces over and continue cooking another 10 or so minutes. Keep cooking and turning the chicken until juices run clear when chicken is pierced where the meat is thickest. Total cooking time will be 30–40 minutes, depending on size of pieces. If smaller ones get done first, remove and keep them warm.
Copyright by Terese Allen